The Glenbuchat Image Library
Unknown Year: 201061 Don 2
A eulogy to the tributaries of the upper Don.
The Don, the second river in the county in point of magnitude, takes its rise in this parish, on the very confines of the counties of Banff and Aberdeen, and takes its course from west to east, dividing the parish into nearly two equal parts. [It is a singular fact, that the source of the Don has lately been actually turned into the Avon, in order to turn the neighbouring farmer's mill-wheel.] It runs nearly two miles through peat moss before it assumes the appearance of an ordinary burn. Then, augmented by the Vannich and other mountain-streams, it continues its course about ten miles, without attaining any considerable magnitude, till it receives the tributaries of the lower district. The most considerable of these are the Conry, the Ernan, the Carvy, the Nochty, the Deskry, the Bucket at the intersection of Glenbucket already noticed, and the Kindy, the eastern boundary of the parish, all which take their rise in the glens of their respective names. [In a curious old poem entitled "Don," printed in London, 1655, the tributaries of the Don in this parish are described.]
The New Statistical Account of Scotland (1845)
Picture added on 28 January 2010 at 20:40
This picture is in the following groups