The Glenbuchat Image Library
Unknown Year: 165448 Glenbuchat Map 1654
Herein is a reproduction of Blaeu's 1654 Atlas, compiled from survey of Timothy Pont by Robert Gordon of Straloch. In this map the only places shown in Glenbuchat or Inverbuchat as it was then called, are the following:- Badenyon; Kilhalach; Balnacraig; Beltamor; all situated on the north bank of the Water of Buchat. Innerbuchat (Glenbuchat Castle) is situated on the south bank of the Water of Buchat near the confluence of the Water of Buchat and River Don. Kirktoun is the only farm shown on the south side of the Water of Buchat. It is interesting that in 1654, "Glenbuchat" as we now know it, was included in an area (which is outlined on the map) called "Strathdon".
In 1654 Joan Blaeu of Amsterdam published an Atlas which included a large number of maps of Scotland. These maps were based on the work of Timothy Pont who had single-handedly carried out a survey of Scotland in the 1580's and 1590's, often at great danger to himself. These maps are of much value for those interested in the history of roads as roads are shown on four of the maps as well as river crossing points and place names indicative of a road. In addition, some of his topographical notes remain and in some cases these list distances between places which are clearly on routes. This section looks at each of these for areas in the south of Scotland and suggests routes that may have been associated with them. The Blaeu and Pont maps are reproduced by permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.
Picture added on 23 December 2009 at 16:10
This picture is in the following groups