The Glenbuchat Image Library
No Contributor Year: 185067 Ryntaing 1850 Map of valley
Ryntaing from the Gaelic Roinn-Teanga (the point of the tongue). A pont of land at the junction of two burns
1850 of map of track up to Ryntaing (at top of map)
Note other cottages now renovated, Newseat and Ballochduie and the ruined Sluggie
Alternative Name(s) BURN OF SLUGGIE
Canmore ID 106886
Site Type ENCLOSURE, FARMSTEAD
NGR NJ 3492 1954
Latitude, Longitude 57.26187N, 3.080539W
NJ31NW 7 3492 1954
(Location cited as NJ 349 196). The remains of a small farmstead and enclosure have been noted on a SE-facing spur at an altitude of c. 405m OD.
The following site has been identified while checking maps held by Grampian Regional Council. Full information is held in GRC SMR.
NJ 349 196. Remains of a small farmstead and enclosure.
Sponsor: Grampian Regional Council.
M Greig 1995.
The remains of the farmstead of Sluggie, which was occupied well into the 20th century (OS 6-inch map, Aberdeenshire, 2nd edition, 1901, sheet l) are situated at the edge of a broad river-terrace on the W side of the Burn of Sluggie. On plan, the farmstead appears to have comprised a simple U-shaped court open to the E, but the S wing is the farm cottage. Elsewhere, the cottage is more usually found detached from the yard and enclosed midden.
The cottage measures 14.3m from E to W by 5.4m transversely over mortared stone walls up to 0.6m in thickness and 1.8m in height, and the entrance is midway along the S wall. The rectangular garden of the cottage lies immediately to the E. The W part of the steading has comprised a byre measuring about 18.4m from N to S by 3.65m internally. The S end of the byre has either been open-ended or has been robbed of its stone. Its interior contains three compartments linked by doorways and each has an independent entrance leading E into the open court with its square midden hollow. The N wing of the steading is occupied by a threshing barn measuring about 20m in length from E to W by 5.25m transversely over mortared stone walls 0.6m in thickness and up to 2m in height at the E end. On the N side of the barn there is a wheel-pit, which is linked to a pond about 30m to the NW by a partly slab-covered lade. The barn contains two entrances in its S side, and a separate compartment at the E end, also with an entrance on the S, may have been a stable.
Situated immediately to the W of the NW corner of the steading there are the low, grass-grown footings of a rectangular building, measuring about 9m from E to W by 4.6m transversely over all, with an entrance on the S and a small outshot at the W end.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS), 16 May 1997.
From: Wanderings in the Highlands of Banff and Aberdeen Shires, (1881) Author: Phillips, J. G
Between Dulax and Badenyon a track branches off and goes north into the hills by Ballochduie and Newseat. From Newseat a minorc track cuts away to the Roch Ford (rough-ford) and the Cabrach, pasing a ruined farm called the Sluggie. If you stick to the Newseat track you come to another ruined fermtoun, (In Old English and Early and Middle Scots, the word ton, toun, etc. could refer to kinds of settlements as diverse as agricultural estates and holdings, partly picking up the Norse sense (as in the Scots word fermtoun) Ryntaing, whose solid stones suggest a fermtoun of some size. And importance. There was a water mill there with a sizeable dam above the farmhouse. The name means ‘the point of the tongue’, a sharp point of land between the junction of two burns. The burns here are the Leandensider and the Clashwalloch. Clashwalloch means ‘the hollow of the pass’. (clash n large hollow or cavity on hillside ) ( note the refrence to St Walloch on page 8 ) But Leandensider is more mysterious – it comes form Leathad ant-saighder, ‘the hill slope of the soldier’.
On the bank of the Leandensider Burn is a huge lime kiln (See entry 30 Limekilns), about 16 feet high and 20 feet broad. You can take a guess at how old it is by looking at the two rowan trees that have grown out of the kilns empty hole. There were a number of kilns in the Glen.
Picture added on 30 June 2010 at 19:39
This picture is in the following groups