The Glenbuchat Image Library
No Contributor Year: 179768 Statistical Account 1797
Statistical Account 1797
“The parish of Glenbucket is situated in the presbytery of Alford and synod and county of Aberdeen. The extreme breadth at least of the cultivated part is not above a mile, generally not half a mile its length about four. It lies on each side of a small brook called Bucket, running from northeast to south weft, where it falls into Don, and is bounded by the parish of Strathdon on the east south and west. The parish of Cabrach lies to the north from which it is separated by a hill of about four miles wide. Tradition reports that it once belonged to that parish and the remains of the chapel where it is likely public worship was performed were not long ago to be seen.
The soil is for the moil part of a light loam on some farms mixed with clay. The springs are in general backward and vegetation advances very slowly at first. The summers are however warm, as the parish is encircled by hills, so that the harvests are by no means so late as might be expected. The crops are oats for the most part, of an early kind, and Scotch bear. Artificial grasses are beginning, and only beginning to be sown and the advantages of them to be known. As there are however hardly any enclosures and every farmer, almost every cottager, keeps some sheep they are with difficulty guarded in the winter. The turnips must indeed in general be taken up as there is no preserving of them.
The people are sober and very industrious. There are few that do not make their own ploughs and carts and also their brogues or hoes. The parish is the property of one heritor the Earl of Fife and contains by a very exact list taken last winter 1795 (449 fouls 229 males 220 females). The average of deaths for eight years is about 8. The population according to Dr Webster’s account in 1755 was 430. The names of places almost without exception are derived from the Gaelic as Badenyon, which gives name to an excellent song and means as is said the Bird's Bush or Thicket. There are no funds for the support of the poor but the weekly collections, which are small. Luckily there are seldom any that require constant supply. Six or seven receive a few shillings twice or thrice in the year. As the parish is small so the stipend is perhaps the smallest in Scotland. The kirk manse and offices were all lately rebuilt. The parish lies at a great distance from every market town. Aberdeen, the post town, is above 30 miles off .To it the people must carry whatever they have for sale and from thence all their necessaries are procured. None but those who have felt it can imagine how inconvenient it is to be at such a distance from a post office and market town, when for six or eight weeks sometimes all communication is stopped”
Picture added on 29 April 2010 at 21:57
This picture is in the following groups