The Glenbuchat Image Library
No Contributor Year: 147251 Disaster then the Birth of a Parish 1472
The independent Parish of Glenbucket was established in 1472.
" The parish of Glenbuchat owes its erection to a tragical incident. Its separation from its parish church of Logy Mar, by high hills and streams subject to frequent floods (propter pericula . . . inundalionibus aqiiarum infra terrain inhabitabilem in monte et deserto), had long been felt a grievance. But at length, on an occasion when the people of the glen were crossing to celebrate Easter in the church of Logy, they were caught by a storm in which five or six persons perished. The bishop thereupon issued a commission for arranging the separation of Glenbuchat, and endowing a resident chaplain."
From “History of Logie-Coldstone”
An event now occurred that very intimately concerned the parish of Logic. " Glenbucket was of old a chapelry of the Church of Logy in Mar. It was erected into a parish in the year 1473 A.D. by Bishop Thomas Spens, with consent of the Dean and Chapter of the Cathedral and of Sir Edward Makdowel, Vicar of Logy.
The deed of erection recites the perils of storms and floods which beset the inhabitants in passing and repassing between Glenbucket and Logie through an uninhabited tract of hill and waste, where in one day at Easter five or six people perished on their way to the Church of Logy.
The Church of Glenbucket was to be served by a resident parochial chaplain, who was to have the church land of Chapeltone with the great tithe as well of Chapeltone as of the town of Balnaboth in Glenbueket and others, which belonged to Logy, but were leased by the Dean and Chapter of Aberdeen. He was also to have the altarages and other small emoluments, which also of old belonged to the Vicar of Logy; with twenty shillings Scots yearly from the Vicar of Logy in respect of his release from the cure of Glenbucket." This arrangement seems to have worked well till the year 1549, when the son of the chaplain, now dead, put in a claim for some of these lands as his personal property, to which the Vicar of Logy naturally objected. There was
much disputing about it. In the first instance it was carried to the Bishop's Court, and from that to King James V.'s new Court of Session, and it was not settled till 1686, when the lords of the congregation— The Reformation having in the meantime taken place — relieved both parties of all trouble about either tithes or land.
One unexpected consequesnce was on the Parish of Logie
In 1549 the Catholic church conveyed the estate of Glenbuchat to Alexander Thommulson and his wife Helen Carlile. In 1582 Thommulson sold the lands to John Gordon and his wife Helen Carnegy.
1630 A.D. Book of Annualrentaris, 43
The union of the parishes (Logie and Coldstone) took place in 1618 A.D., in consequence of the "paucity of the teinds ". After the surrender of the Church lands of Glenbacket, Logie was ill able to support a minister for itself, and was generally supplied by a reader. It was united to Coldstone by the Commissioners for the Plantation of Churches, 17th July, 1618, as above stated, and was afterwards known in public documents as Logie- Coldstone
From “John Milne. Aberdeen: topographical, antiquarian, and historical papers on the city of Aberdeen.”
Bishop Thomas Spens (1459-1480) took an important part in the public affairs of Scotland. In 1473 a commission appointed by Bishop Thomas erected the chapel of St Peter in Glenbucket, which was a detached part of Logie-Coldstone, into a mother or parish church. Five or six persons had perished going from Glenbucket at Pasch to their parish church at Logie. The Don had to be crossed and the fords were dangerous. Glenbucket means the glen of the hump, the hill now covered by the Craig Wood being the hump, which in Irish and old Gaelic is " buicead." In the local pronunciation of Glenbucket the sound of " i " is prominent.
Other Floods also claimed glenbucket lives.
1829 Destructive Flood in Scotland
"In the beginning of this month there were most destructive floods in some of the north eastern districts of Scotland In the country round Aberdeen the rivers were flooded to an extent at least equal to what can be remembered by the oldest person alive and a little below the bridge of Dee the water rose eighteen inches higher than it did during the flood in 1799.
The schoolmaster of Glenbucket was also drowned in attempting to ford the Don upon Monday."
Picture added on 08 March 2010 at 13:56
This picture is in the following groups