The Glenbuchat Image Library
Unknown Year: 201011 Glenbuchat Old Kirk
Ecclesiastical building in use as such, annual service held on the third Sunday in August. Group with Old Parish Church Graveyard and Manse. The Old Church is a rare survival of a traditional church with original interior described as ´a model of primitive but comely decency´ in The Book of Glenbuchat (p14). The only later additions being the fine laird´s loft and war memorial panels. The building measures 57´4´ x 26´9´ and the initialled datestone at the west gable commemorates `M A K´, Master Andrew Kerr who was the minister of Glenbuchat from 1618 until 1633. The bellcote was repositioned from the west gable in or around 1857 by David Wood, mason of Kildrummy. The 1643 bell bears the name of Dutch bellfounder, Peter Jansen. The Book of Glenbuchat considers the question of date by careful examination of the stonework, it states ´The dressed stones of the doors and windows in the south side are wrought in yellow Kildrummy freestone, and bear the `bull-nosed´ or rounded arris so frequently found in the castle. Doubtless these stones date from the building of 1629, and were re-used in the later reconstruction. ´ but the lower courses on the south side are of squared rubble, and seem older than the rest of the fabric´ (p14). It is also possible that the ceiling shape (irregular coving) may camouflage early construction detail as The Book of Glenbuchat refers to the end of the 18th century when ´the church was covered in heather, and the couples were exposed inside´ (p15). The building is currently (2006) kept wind and watertight by the local authority, and was restored in 1964. The concrete harl was probably applied to the north elevation at that time.
The parish church of Glenbuchat, date unknown, but probably built at the same time as the manse in 1775, is supposed to stand on the foundations of an older church. The dedication or date of the older structure is not known but a stone inscribed 1629 is built into the W gable of the present church.
Name Book 1868.
The first church in Glenbuchat was founded in 1473 and dedicated to St Peter. It was erected at Capeltone, almost certainly the present Kirkton. The present church, rebuilt in 1629 and again in the 18th century, probably stands on the site of the original church and may even incorporate parts of its fabric.
W D Simpson 1949.
The present 18th century church is harled and bears no trace of an earlier structure save for the date-stone built into the W gable.
Visited by OS (N K B) 30 August 1968.
The parish church of Glenbuchat is situated on a moderate NE-facing slope at an altitude of 305m OD, and may occupy the site of the 15th century church of St Peter. The original church was founded 1473 at Capeltone, almost certainly the present Kirkton. The present church was rebuilt in 1629 and again in the 18th century, and may even incorporate parts of its fabric; it is dated 'M.A.K. (Minister Andrew Keir) 1629) at the apex of the W gable. Some of the stones within the rubble-walled enclosure date from 1686 but most are more recent; the church was in course of restoration by the county council in 1964.
To see the details of the ministers of Glenbucket Church go to page 126 in the frame below.
Picture added on 20 December 2009 at 00:14
This picture is in the following groups