The Glenbuchat Image Library
Unknown Year: 19003 Belnacraig Craigton
Organisation The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland
Canmore ID 126658
Site Type TOWNSHIP, VILLAGE
NGR NJ 3746 1658
Latitude, Longitude 57.23564N, 3.037691W
NJ31NE 66 centred 3746 1658
A township of two foci, comprising seventeen roofed buildings, one unroofed structure and thirteen enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Aberdeenshire 1869, sheet lx). Sixteen roofed buildings and fourteen enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1975).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 8 April 1999.
(Also cited as fermtoun at NJ 3743 1675 to NJ 3755 1647). The township of Belnacraig extends 300m from N to S down the E flank of the hill upon which Craig Wood, now a conifer plantation, was planted in the 19th century.
On the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Aberdeenshire 1869, sheet lx) sixteen buildings are depicted here and the toun has two distinct focii. Only minor changes occurred between then and the publication of the 2nd edition of the map in 1903, and at least ten of the buildings shown in 1903 appear to be depicted on the modern 1:10,000 scale map, although the possibility of some rebuilding cannot be discounted.
Visited by RCAHMS (PC), 15 June 1997.
Picture added on 19 December 2009 at 23:28
This picture is in the following groups